An Asian Christian woman living in London blogging about the everyday issues of religion

Sunday 30 December 2012

Happy NY, Out With The Old, In With The Same?



It's THAT day of the year again when one wonders about what can be ditched to begin the new year with a spring in one's step. Out with the old tedious practices and mindsets that have proven to be life sapping leeches. In with a new life enhancing routine that will rocket one to great heights of self-fulfilment.   

Does it ever happen this way? I normally make a list of 10 resolutions but only ever manage to accomplish about half. My intentions disappear at mid-point through the list. This is probably because numbers 6 to 10 contain things that I should give up but don't want to. Willpower versus 'Oh, What the hell I will try next year'. Old habits die hard and I am mistrusting myself even before the clock strikes midnight. 

There is a glimmer of hope though for me. For the last two years I have been intending to read about the history of the bible. Never got around to it until today. I am either making a late start on my 2012 resolution or an early start for 2013. I got out my 'The Bible for Dummies' book and read the first chapter. I am either going to end 2013 as a dummy myself or as someone who finally knows something about biblical history. 

Happy New Year to the Christian blogsphere and here's wishing you all the best with your resolutions. May God bless you as you step into 2013.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your resolutions. I have stopped making them, since I never kept them.
    Instead, this year I have decided to have a "me" year, when if I can think of anything I really want to do I will do it.
    Most years I feel at the end that I have accomplished nothing so maybe this year will be different.
    Whatever you decide have a Happy healthy 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray, A 'me' year sounds like a far more sensible approach to life. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  2. I resolve to read the whole Bible this year and walk The South Downs Way but we will see......
    Every Blessing for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ministersmrs, Your resolutions are impressive and I wish you well. Do let me know how you get on. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year (and Merry Christmas too - we do have until the 6th to stop feasting after all)! One thing that I found really helpful with Bible reading was to use the liturgy when the going gets tough. So for example I'd spend the week reading the book(s)/letter the Sunday readings were from and then I'd supplement it with Church Father/theological commentaries which meant I was killing a number of birds with one stone, so to speak!

    Setting up an online 'Bible Study' group helped as well. Not that anyone really reads it but it has helped me a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your suggestion and will try it. Please post details of your online bible study group. There may be people interested in it.

      Happy New Year and a belated Merry Xmas to you. I look forward to reading your blog posts which I enjoy.

      Delete